Are you concerned that your child isn’t confident in their academic abilities? Or that their learning challenges are causing them to lose confidence in themselves? Do you fear that low self-esteem will negatively impact them academically and/or socially?
If so, you are not alone. In working with families, we commonly hear from parents that their child isn’t confident in their knowledge or abilities. This is important to address, as self-confidence is a critical factor in our happiness and well-being. It helps us manage emotions, build relationships, face changes and challenges, navigate social situations, and so much more. Without self-esteem, even the most outwardly successful people may experience depression and anxiety, have difficulty tackling challenges, and generally struggle to live up to their full potential.
What Can Be Done to Help My Child Regain Their Self-Confidence?
The good news is that the right tutoring can not only help students academically, but it can significantly improve their self-confidence. And that strengthened confidence, in turn, can help enhance their capacity for future learning and academic success. It’s a good cycle to start, right?
At Fit Learning, we see incredible academic results, with children improving an average of 1-2 grade levels after 40 hours of instruction. Fit uniquely combines learning science, precision teaching, and curriculum-based assessment to transform learners’ grasp of foundational skills in areas such as math, reading, logic, and writing. However, the benefits of tutoring at Fit extend well beyond academics. Fit’s technique results in learners who are confident and have acquired a newfound capacity for learning, wide-reaching benefits not seen with most traditional tutoring.
So, How Does Fit Learning Help Boost Kids’ Confidence?
- Fit Learning improves performance. As learners progress throughout Fit’s curriculum, they notice their own improvement in areas such as memory, attention, problem-solving, and processing speed. This evidence of their own enhanced executive functioning can significantly boost kids’ self-esteem and confidence in their academic performance.
- Fit learners feel a sense of accomplishment. Fit Learning breaks down complex cognitive skills into smaller, more manageable building blocks, providing students with a sense of accomplishment with each “personal best” achieved. In addition, Fit learning coaches are expert motivators, using reinforcement, rewards, and celebration to keep sessions upbeat and positive. Learners’ feeling of success reinforces their belief in their capabilities and encourages them to tackle more challenging tasks.
- Fit provides a personalized learning experience. Fit’s tutoring is always 1:1 and adapted to each student’s individual needs. The program kicks off with an intake assessment to identify the learner’s strengths and weaknesses. Then, as the student progresses through their customized curriculum, Fit learning coaches continuously capture performance data. They use this information to adjust their teaching in “real time” to achieve the best possible learning outcomes. This tailored approach helps students feel supported and confident in their ability to learn effectively.
- Fit focuses on fluency, not just accuracy. Fit uses fluency training – meaning that, through practice, students get to know the material so well that they don’t have to stop and think before responding. They can spend their time and energy on absorbing and comprehending versus simply decoding the information. This in turn improves learners’ overall agility, or cognitive fitness. So, students not only learn the academic material at hand, but also are more confident and better equipped to continue learning as the concepts become more advanced.
- Fit gives learners immediate feedback. Fit coaches provide students with immediate and positive feedback on their performance, highlighting their progress and encouraging continued effort. This positive reinforcement fosters a sense of motivation and self-efficacy, further boosting students’ confidence.
- Fit learners experience less frustration. Fit’s alternative teaching method and customized approach meets each learner where they are, with a focus on what’s needed to efficiently move forward. So learners no longer feel frustrated or inadequate because the work is too hard. Rather, the culture of fun and support allows students to approach their learning with a more positive mindset and a greater sense of self-belief.
- Fit helps develop transferable skills. The cognitive skills developed through Fit Learning extend beyond academic performance, enhancing students’ overall abilities and problem-solving (and life!) skills. This can translate into increased confidence in various aspects of their lives, from extracurricular activities to social interactions.
- Fit’s method enhances metacognition. During Fit’s learning sessions, students are provided with lots of opportunities to practice and respond. They help track their own process, thus developing their metacognitive skills. This increased understanding of how they learn helps children identify their strengths, become advocates for their own learning, and approach challenges with greater confidence.
- Fit Learning promotes empowerment and self-discovery. By helping students recognize their own cognitive potential, Fit Learning empowers them to take ownership of their learning journey. This newfound sense of control can foster a positive self-image and boost their confidence in their abilities to achieve their goals.
Overall, Fit Learning’s impact on student self-confidence stems from its ability to address underlying cognitive challenges, provide personalized support, and foster a positive learning environment. As Fit students experience success, receive positive feedback, and develop a deeper understanding of their own learning process, their self-esteem and confidence will continue to grow, leading to success in class … and throughout their academic journey.
What Kinds of Learners Does Fit Serve?
One unique — and exciting — aspect of Fit Learning individualized approach works for all kinds of learners. That includes:
- Children who are struggling academically in general or with a specific subject area
- Students who aren’t struggling but want to prevent summer slide or skill regression
- Learners preparing for a private school admission exam
- Gifted learners seeking further challenge or enrichment
- Homeschooled students, or those whose parents are considering homeschooling
- Children with diagnosed learning disabilities, special education needs, ADHD, dyslexia, slow processing speed, speech/language delays, or autism
- Pre-K children for school readiness
Fit offers instruction the areas of reading, writing, math, logic, spelling, penmanship, and kindergarten readiness. Also available are programs for homeschoolers, academic summer camp, study skills. There’s even an option for those who prefer to learn online versus in person.
How Do We Start Tutoring at Fit Learning?
It’s easy to get started. Simply reach out to Janice Smith, the lab director at Fit Learning St. Louis, to:
- Learn more about Fit Learning St. Louis and how it can help your child’s confidence soar.
- Make an appointment for an intake assessment.
- Start tutoring at Fit and watch your learner’s self-confidence grow as their learning accelerates.